Wednesday, February 4, 2009

allergies are fun

Most people know that the only meat I eat is fish and seafood, but recently (that being the last two years or so) I have been experiencing some mild allergic reactions to canned fish. When I eat some, the insides of my ears and tongue itch, but nothing incredibly serious. That was, until yesterday.

At about 2pm I have a couple bits of tuna from a jar. It was some really expensive stuff with flavoured oil that I've had before and didn't have a reaction to. I got a bit of a reaction, but again nothing serious. I just made a mental note to not eat it anymore. At about 5pm I have some salmon that I cooked myself and was fine. I go to the gym at 7, and start out by running on the treadmill. I notice some stomach cramps, as if I've eaten too soon before running (which rarely affects me since I'm more used to running). I decide to quit after a mile and go to do some weights before returning to the treadmill. While I'm pumping iron, the palms of my hands start getting hot. VERY hot. And red. And my scalp starts itching. And behind my ears. And armpits. I look in the mirror and I see hives on my neck. This isn't good I thought, and run to the change room, grab my stuff, then head to my car to go home and get some Benadryl.

I make it across the low-level bridge and to 97 ave when my heart starts POUNDING FAST. I got really dizzy and notice that my lips are swelling. Nearly hyperventalating, I pull over and call 911. They talk me down to a near-calm state so I don't panic myself unconcious and send an abulance to fetch me. Abulance comes, pumps me full of antihistamine (I didn't need epinephine, thankgodandmycatisonmykeyboardandIcan'tpressthespacebar there we go he's off now). They took me to the University hospital to monitor me until my rash goes away (right I didn't mention that I also had a rash all over).

Dana's dad picks me up and I stay at his parent's place for the night to make sure nothing else happens, because allergies sometimes like to flair up a little even after they're treated. But I was fine. Today I had a little bit of the hot palms and felt a little funny, but Benadryl helped that and now I'm merely existing in a druggy haze.

So yes, that was my Tuesday night. And I don't think I can eat fish anymore. I'm going to play it safe and stay away from all seafood until I get an allergy test, even though I think shellfish is ok because I had shrimp on Friday and was a-ok.

This sucks big time. I LOVE fish. I LOVE sushi. I'm very active, and don't really want to have to start eating meat again, or eat more tofu because of the phytoestrogens in soya. Beans and legumes are great and all, but not as lean as other forms of protein. So I don't know what I'm going to do.

I think it's nap time.

No comments: